Tuesday, January 17, 2017

January 16th - I Eat All Kinds of Food

God dag på er! Well, lets take a look at the highlight reel of this week shall we...

On wednesday we met with a Swedish couple named Kurt and Laila who had met missionaries in the past and wow, talk about devout Christians. They've got some serious faith. They refer to us as evangelists. We got to know them, taught a great Restoration lesson, and joined them in their prayer before we left and Elder Wilson and I had no idea what we were doing, they said the Lords Prayer in Swedish which we didn't know then went around and everyone said a prayer. It was a great learning experience even if it wasn't something I was used to. 

We meet the most random people up here in Skellefteå. Like we met a guy from Japan with very broken English and nice wispy goatee the other day on the street. Another day was a woman from North Shore on Oahu, Hawaii. She's a new investigator actually. 

A Swedish couple that we asked for directions from were soooo nice to us. They walked us over a kilometer all the way up to the doorstep of the house we were trying to find, it was actually Kurt and Laila's. 

I've gotten unusually frustrated with some of our contacts on the street this week, like I take them personally which is unlike me. After one contact a lady was just so annoying and rude that it took all my self control not to throw the Book of Mormon in my hand on the ground. I've really been praying for more patience and it's been helping a lot. I feel like I had gotten burned out last week with finding and hit a wall but now I'm back! The excitement to find is back and better than ever! 

On friday we stayed in Luleå after district meeting for the baptism on friday night. Last transfer, we were at the baptism of another member in Luleå and the sisters gave me the responsibility of fellow shipping and sitting next to Omar, one of there investigators that came to watch. Omar's a super cool, humble dude from Morocco who speaks French, Arabic, and Swedish. Anyways, after that day he asked the sisters how he can do the same thing. So fast forward to this friday and I was honored to be the one to baptize Omar. It was a sweet experience, he was so nervous he rushed out of the font right after the baptism but he was happy. Very happy. 

Swedish miscommunications are not just for the young missionaries. Here's how a contact went this last week with one guy...

 "tror du på något slags högre makt?" (do you believe in any kind of higher power?)

"Nej jag äter alla slags mat (No, I eat all kinds of food)

He thought I said mat (food) not makt (power). Big difference. 

I had a thought dawn on me this week. We cooonstantly get the comment from Swedes that they don't believe in religion because it causes conflict and suffering. However, I realized that it's not religion that causes war and suffering, it's a lack of religious freedom. That's why the prophet and apostles have been focusing so much on religious freedom the last few years. That's the key to peace. And that's what the gospel of Jesus Christ is all about. Religious freedom and religious cooperation. 

Anyways, have a superb week! Talk to you soon.

Much love,

Äldste Hainsworth


Family history center where we email


After a long day when you still have to plan



Lock that baby up


Splits with my old french comp Elder Baquedano


Email Received: January 16, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment