Wednesday, December 21, 2016

September 12th - Back to High School


This week we've tried pulling the American card speaking English a couple times on some Swedes and it totally works, it always leads to a conversation. It's a rule of the universe, well at least of Sweden, Swedes dig Americans. Just not always in missionary form. 

We got invited to come to a high school here in Norrköping and present the church and answer questions to high school seniors. First of all, can I just say I can't believe it's been three years since I was sitting in those seats starting my senior year of high school. The class was respectful and asked some really solid questions like if we still practice polygamy and questions about baptisms for the dead, even asking about when we did work for the Jews that died in the holocaust. Elder Kilton and I were definitely stretched in our knowledge but we feel good about our responses. Plus it was all in Swedish which put a little extra spin on things. 

Alex told us he couldn't make it to church, making this the fourth week in a row of him not being confirmed, we were really bummed. I was sitting there in sacrament meeting yesterday as we had just finished up the sacrament and I hear the door open, look over and none other than Alex walks through the door and sits down. I'm so surprised and excited I turn to the member next to me and whisper excitedly how he's not supposed to be here! In a split second moment of genius the first counselor goes up to continue conducting the meeting and he spontaneously calls Alex up to be confirmed cause why not. The confirmation was great and he received the Aaronic Priesthood after church. I have a testimony that God answers prayers, thanks to those of you who were praying for Alex as well. Now he can go to the temple on Saturday with us, wooh!! 

A quote from President Spencer W. Kimball:

"What must I do to be damned? Nothing. That's all. You're damned- condemned- if you just sit still. It's the law in the spiritual world. Simply shut your heart to all truth, and after a while you won't be able to believe anything- that is the severest penalty for not accepting truth. The process of disintegration and death begins when a man shuts himself out from the forces that make for life. The body and mind and spirit are kept alive through constant constructive use." 
It's so true, I used to see the key to life as not making bad choices. However, inactivity, stagnancy, dormancy is so easy an option over acting and making good choices as well. As a big time procrastinator (working on it!) I know this is true. We have the agency. We have to act. D&C 58: 28-29. 

Love you all, 

Äldste Hainsworth


Back to high school


Whipping up some pies


District Lunch


It's hard to tell but see that little cut on my forehead? That's from Elder Roylance chucking a playing card at me on splits, a playing card for petes sake!!! Glad it wasn't my eye...



Email received: September 12, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment